Thursday, January 18, 2007

Let's Get Things Started...

All things have to start somewhere.

This blog starts at 2:00 a.m. on a Thursday morning in a college dorm room somewhere in the suburbs of St. Louis, Missouri.
I'm currently taking a class called "Writing for Public Relations" and one of the assignments for the class is to create a blog and occasionally update it. I've always wanted to start a blog but have lacked the motivation until now. So here it is. My grand experiment. Hopefully it will go well.

The Why, When and Where are covered so let's get to the Who. My name is Marty and I'm a 19 year old college student. I'm double majoring in Public Relations and Marketing at a small liberal arts university in St. Louis, Missouri. I like music, the outdoors and professional baseball. I'm a talented orator. I'm arrogant. That will do for now, I'll write more on myself later.

Now on to the What. Asides from the writing which I will be doing for the PR class this blog will try to express what living in the City of St. Louis is like for me.

I've lived in St. Louis my entire life. The city has a character and atmosphere that can't be found anywhere else in the world. There's a sublte beauty to the seedy diners, dive bars, decrepit buildings and that big muddy river. I love it all but at the same time I hate it. I've seen fear and neglect destroy the city. It hurts me more than anything ever has.

But I think we're at a pivotal point. People are ready to give the city another chance and this excites me more than anything has in the past. At the same time I fear we'll let this moment slip by and continue to wallow in the mediocrity that is.

This blog is about my thoughts on the this pivotal point in time and how it affects me.

No comments: