Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Reflection on a Cruel World

I left class yesterday and saw CNN covering the Virgina Tech shooting.

32 dead. 30 injured.
Terrible.
Yet I wasn't really moved at all.


I saw Columbine.
I saw 9/11.
I saw the bombs hit Baghdad.
I've accepted that things like this happen in this world.

And that is the real tragedy.

We live in a world where by the age of 20 a man can be so jaded from all of the violence and destruction around him that he doesn't care that 30 innocent people were murdered.

They're going to blame it on movies.
They're going to blame it on television.
They're going to blame it on video games.
But what no one ever thinks about is that systematic genocide existed before all of those things.

We live in a harsh, terrible, unrelenting world.

Ironically it was a beautiful day in St. Louis.

No comments: